Monday, January 4, 2010

Yeasayer - Odd Blood

Odd Blood is Yeasayer's followup to their amazing 2007 debut, All Hour Cymbals. this album is fucking ridiculous and weird and completely unlike their first album. I still have no idea if I like it or if it's any good, but I'm pretty sure I do and it is (in fact, I think I love it and it may very well be fantastic).

as NME put it, this record sounds like the band who used to describe themselves as "Middle Eastern-psych-snap-gospel" suddenly discovered sex and dancing. it's a straight-up pop album, reminiscent of the best and strangest music to ever emerge from the '80s. the hooks are relentless and the lyrics are pretty much just an afterthought in the face of the infectious beats. if you've heard Yeasayer's debut and are hoping for anything like the vocal harmonies and a capella gypsy-beat weirdness here, you will be extremely disappointed. however if you give this one a few listens I'm pretty sure it will grow on you like the best kind of cheesy psych pop cancer.

also, let it be known that I love this video. please let me know if you happen to watch it and understand what the fuck is going on in it, because I certainly do not.




Yeasayer - Odd Blood [2010]


Yeasayer.net
myspace.com/Yeasayer
last.fm/Yeasayer

0 comments:

Post a Comment