Sunday, January 10, 2010

Freelance Whales - Weathervanes

it's really hard for me to not judge a band based on their name. if your band picked an incredibly stupid name then I am inclined to believe that you make stupid music as well. a harsh policy, but it's generally served me well over the years.

in this particular case, I am glad I broke my own rules to listen to Freelance Whales' debut Weathervanes. it is absolutely fucking precious in every single way. it's sugary sweet indie pop with a heart of gold, peppered with toy pianos, glockenspiels, banjos, twee boy-girl vocals, Postal Service-esque synths and lovely, catchy melodies. it's an adorable cuddly gem of a record that will make you dance, much like a basket filled with kittens playing tiny electric guitars.

if winter makes you as depressed as it makes me then I fully recommend this album, and I promise that in the future I will make more of an effort to listen to bands with dumb names.



freelancewhales.com
myspace.com/Freelancewhales
last.fm/Freelance Whales

1 comments:

Kyle said...

I am really digging this Sara, thanks!

Post a Comment