Monday, September 21, 2009

visual audio sensory theater

I've been revisiting my grade school years these last few days, listening to one of the first albums I ever really loved - VAST's unbelievable first album, "Visual Audio Sensory Theater." I was around 11 when I first heard this band on the radio and immediately bought the album and fell in love. VAST was darker and weirder and more beautiful than anything I had ever heard. plus, none of my friends had heard of them, and even in 5th grade I knew that made me cool.

I don't really know how to describe VAST's sound. wikipedia says silly things like "ambient electro-rock." I think their first album is really close to indescribable; it is heavy and bombastic, and other times it is subtle and slow (although the subtle and slow songs can be so melodramatic sometimes it's almost comical). the most remarkable element of their first album is the beautiful swells of the orchestra, and the constant sampling of choral chants. almost every single song has some sort of chanting neatly woven into the melody, from benedictine monks or bulgarian choirs.

this album has stood the test of time for me - since first listen 11 years ago, it hasn't lost any of its power or its beauty, even though now I'm older and all "indie hip" or whatever, I am a little embarrassed at how overwrought and pretentious it sometimes tries to be. the lyrics are occasionally pretty cringe-worthy. plus, every other album VAST has released has been the equivalent of goth-rock barf. but god dammit, this is a fucking stellar album, I still love it, and I don't care how uncool it makes me now.

finally, here is the hilariously awful video for the song "Touched," which has been used in just about every single TV show ever, and is still a totally fucking awesome song.




VAST - Visual Audio Sensory Theater [1998]


realvast.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment