Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jesu - Silver EP

I've never heard Jesu before, or any of Justin Broadrick's other projects (of which there are many, the most notable being the now-defunct and highly influential Godflesh). I'm not really sure HOW I've managed to go so long without hearing such a phenomenal band.

the Silver EP is apparently a huge departure from the heavier, more metal-driven sound of previous Jesu releases. I don't really know how to explain what this EP sounds like... it's such a weird mix of sounds that mesh together so perfectly. the backbone of every song are the thick, sludgy guitars contrasted with Justin Broadrick's light, clear vocals and electronic flourishes both enhancing the music and also driving it. there are elements of shoegaze, ambient, doom metal and drone, often all at the same time. I don't think I have ever really heard anything that sounds like this, or if I have, I haven't heard it done so well.

Jesu is perfect, beautiful, crushingly heavy and surprisingly sweet.



site
last.fm
myspace

0 comments:

Post a Comment