Tuesday, March 17, 2009

more depressosaurus music

I actually do have a playlist on my ipod called "depressosaurus music" and it has 317 songs in it, which should really tell you something about how much I love to be depressed. also, this entire album - Hymns for a Dark Horse by Bowerbirds - is on that playlist, which should also tell you something about what kind of music it is (and how much I love it).

Bowerbirds aren't immediately depressing. in fact, some of their songs are undeniably folk pop-ish. but if you give the album a few listens and let it all sink in, especially the bleakly cryptic lyrics, you will probably cry yourself to sleep every night like I do too. aside from that, Bowerbirds are sort of what you'd imagine a european folk band would sound like if it was made up of some slightly melancholic american college graduate indie kids (which is basically exactly what it is).

the first comparisons that come to mind are the Decemberists and Beirut; they are similar in their sometimes exorbitant folk gypsy sound and lyrical literary verbosity. there's a lot of accordion and fiddle usage, which can be both comical and heartbreaking. their earnestly mournful acoustic recalls the Dodos, Neutral Milk Hotel or Sufjan Stevens (I know, I compare every band I post to Sufjan Stevens... that's probably because I spent 3 years listening to nothing but Sufjan so now my brain is forever warped).

my favorite song on this album is the opener "Hooves," which is probably the most depressing one, and also the most beautiful in its starkness. like I said, I love being depressed.


Bowerbirds - Hymns for a Dark Horse
download it!
buy it!


myspace.com/bowerbirds
bowerbirds.org

0 comments:

Post a Comment